Finding the best electric toothbrush for your needs given all the options, prices and models is tough! But don’t worry, this electric toothbrush buyer’s guide will provide you with everything you need to know to find the best electric toothbrush for you!
While we certainly have our pick for the best electric toothbrush, that doesn’t mean that brush is necessarily the best one for you. Understanding the models, features, performance and size is critical to making sure you purchase an electric toothbrush that is comfortable and meets you’re individual needs.
Why Use an Electric Toothbrush?
Today, people surrounded themselves with technology, yet the majority of us still use a toothbrush that was invented so far back in history it’s not even recorded! There have been major advances in toothbrush technology in recent years, and frankly it’s time for people to consider making the switch.
A number of electric toothbrush sites will try to convince you that clinical studies have proven that an electric toothbrush will clean your teeth better than a manual toothbrush – this is simply not true. A manual toothbrush can be just as effective IF you use proper brushing techniques, the right manual toothbrush, and floss regularly. Unfortunately, these are all things that most people just don’t do. This is where electric toothbrushes help. Electric toothbrushes help insure proper brushing techniques. Electronic toothbrushes use:
- Timers to help you brush for the proper length of time and in all of the proper quadrants
- Vibrations to enforce proper brush strokes
- Pressure sensors to make sure the proper amount of pressure is applied for optimal cleaning
Electric toothbrushes vibrate at very high rate of speed. The actual speed varies by electric toothbrush model, but in all cases, an electric toothbrush vibrates at a significantly higher rate than can be accomplished with a manual toothbrush. The result? Cleaner teeth and less plaque.
Electronic toothbrushes also come with features to enhance your brushing experience. Features like:
- Brushing timers
- Various cleaning modes
- Whitening abilities
- Gum massagers
- Pressure sensors
The bottom line is that an electronic toothbrush will help you use proper brushing techniques, something most people seldom practice. Not only will electric toothbrushes help you, they make using proper brushing techniques easy, resulting in increased dental health for you.
Types of Electric Toothbrushes
There are currently four primary types of electric toothbrushes on the market today:
Rotating electric toothbrushes do exactly what you would expect, they rotate the bristles to simulate brush strokes.
Oscillating toothbrushes also rotate, but in different directions.
Pulsating toothbrushes add an additional twist to the rotating/oscillating motion by moving the bristles in and out. Pulsating helps push the bristles up against your teeth to assist with plaque removal.
The combination of rotating, oscillating and pulsating is the best for this technology, and most higher end electric tooth brushes use all three.
Sonic toothbrushes are currently the leading edge technology in electric toothbrushes. Sonic technology vibrates the bristles at very high frequencies and speeds and additionally clean between teeth.
The speeds vary by the model of toothbrush, but the higher the rate, the more effective the toothbrush. Due to the high speeds of an electric toothbrush, some people have a hard time getting used to them, and find the feeling unpleasant. As a result, some manufacturers have special modes to help people adjust. If you have sensitive teeth or gum lines, these modes are a feature you’ll want to strongly consider.
How to Select an Electronic Toothbrush?
There are a number of factors to consider when selecting the right electronic toothbrush for your individual needs:
1. Power and Speed
First and foremost is power speed. The number of strokes makes a difference in the overall effectiveness of the electric toothbrush. The more strokes, the cleaner your teeth will be. Some brushes offer multiple modes that allow you to select the speed and brushing experience. These are highly recommended over brushes offering just one mode, especially for people with sensitive teeth or gums.
Size is important factor that many people don’t consider. Being able to comfortably hold the brush and have it easily reach the back of your mouth is critically important to getting the most benefit from your brush.
Brushing for the proper amount of time and brushing equally in all four quadrants of your mouth ensures a proper cleaning and removes the most amount of plaque. Most electronic toothbrushes come with timers, but the alert mechanism varies. Make sure you get a brush with a timer and an alert mechanism that is easy for you to hear or see. The brush should have a 2 minute timer, and 30 second quadrant reminder. Two minutes is the recommended brushing time.
4. Pressure Sensor
Proper brush pressure is very important, not only for to obtain an optimal cleaning but also to keep from damaging your teeth or wearing our your bristles too soon. Some models include a pressure sensor. The way the sensor works varies from brush to brush. Some disable the brush, others just turn off some brushing features, while others audibly alert you. Try to purchase brush with a pressure sensor.
While it would certainly be nice if we all unlimited funds, the reality of course is that we don’t. Electric toothbrush models vary greatly by price, and what drives that price are the features. Don’t forget as well, that you will need to replace the bristles of your brush, and the replacement bristle prices also vary by manufacturer.
Determine your initial budget for purchasing a brush and your ongoing budget for replacement bristles. This budget will help you make the right purchase decision that won’t “break the bank”.
Reviews to Top 7 Best Electric Toothbrush 2015
To help you find the best electric toothbrush for you, below are the top 7 best electric toothbrushes in the market that gained positive feedback from many consumers:
1. Oral-B Professional Healthy Clean + Floss Action Precision 5000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush And Refill Brush Head 1 Count
Oral-B is a name trusted by many when it comes to oral care. It is also the brand recommended by most dentists worldwide.
- Round shape design inspired by professional cleaning tools to promote tooth-by-tooth cleaning
- Wireless SmartGuide provides real-time guidance to help you brush according to dentists’ recommendations.
- Waterproof, ergonomic, rechargeable handle
- Indicator Bristles that will indicate if the toothbrush head needs replacement
- 5 Brushing Modes (Daily Clean, Deep Clean, Massage, Polish, and Sensitive)
The Oral-B Professional 5000 may be your best electric toothbrush as it offers 50% more brush movements than sonic toothbrushes. This means, it can remove more plaque than your regular toothbrush. This toothbrush is compatible with a wide range of Oral-B toothbrush heads, so can customize the way you clean your teeth. The Wireless SmartGuide is also very useful, and it even indicates when you are brushing too hard.
The product comes with a full money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with it, you can get a full refund for your money within 60 days from purchase.
2. Philips Sonicare Essence 5600 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare Essence 5600 uses sonic technology that allows it to remove plaque two times better than manual toothbrushes. Below are its features and benefits to help you decide if it is the best electric toothbrush for you.
- Easy-start feature for ease of use and convenience
- Smartimer which sets brushing to two minutes, the recommended time for brushing by most dental professionals
- Angled neck for optimal reach
- Bristles with extra-soft rounded ends that clean in between teeth to remove plaque and prevent gingivitis
- Sonic technology that has the power of 31,000 brush strokes per minute
- Comes with a travel case and travel cap
The use of sonic technology enables it to clean the tight spaces in between teeth and gum line to achieve cleaner and healthier mouth.
It is easy to use. You simply need to apply light pressure when guiding the toothbrush over your teeth and this electric toothbrush will do all the work. It is set to brush teeth for 2 minutes, and it automatically shuts off after that time.
You can take it with you when traveling. You may not even need to carry the charger with you, as it can last up to two weeks on a single charge. There is an indicator, which tells you the remaining battery life. You will know when it needs to be recharged, as the indicator will blink.
Perhaps the only complaint people have on this toothbrush is that it may require a lot of maintenance. The water and oral fluids may get into the toothbrush head container because of its design. Thus, you may need to clean the inside of the toothbrush mechanism so it won’t rust and malfunction.
3. Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
If you don’t think the Sonicare Essence 5600 is the best electric toothbrush for you, you may like the improvement in the Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush. Like the Essence 5600, it is made using Sonic Technology but with a few more features.
- Slim, easy-to-clean handle for comfort and convenience
- Patented sonic technology with the power of 31,000 movements per minute for cleaner and healthier mouth
- Easy-start feature which automatically increases the electric toothbrush’s power over the first 14 uses, allowing users to easily adjust to using this toothbrush
- Smartimer which encourages users to follow the two-minute recommended brushing
- Quadpacer feature beeps in 30-second intervals to ensure even brushing on all four quadrants of your mouth
- Contoured bristles that correspond to the natural shape of your teeth for comfortable brushing experience
- ProResults brush head which snaps onto the handle, thus making brush head replacement and cleaning easier
Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush is easy to clean. It features a ProResults brush head, which snaps on the handle. This makes it easier for you to replace the brush head and in cleaning the handle compared to its predecessors.
It does not need constant recharging. It can last up to two weeks after a full 24-hour charging. This offers convenience for frequent travelers and those who want to travel light because you will not need to bring the charger.
The Quadpacer feature also offers more convenience. If you want to pause while brushing, you just press the power button. By pressing it again, you can continue where you left off.
Some consumers find the standard brush quite hard on the teeth and gums. If you want a soft brush however, you will need to purchase it separately.
4. Oral-B Professional Healthy Clean Precision 1000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
The Oral-B Professional Healthy Clean Precision 1000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, like all Oral-B power toothbrushes, uses cutting-edge technology to take brushing to the next level. It does not just vibrate, but pulsates to break up plaque and sweep them away.
- Professionally inspired design – Its round shape is inspired from professional cleaning tools for precise tooth-by-tooth cleaning
- 20,000 pulsating movements per minute to remove 5 times more plaque than your ordinary toothbrush
- One cleaning mode (Daily Clean Mode)
- Precision Clean brush head with indicator bristles that fade halfway to indicate that the brush head needs replacement
- Waterproof, ergonomic, rechargeable handle
- Pressure Sensor that will tell you if you are brushing too hard
The Oral-B precision 1000 may be the best electric toothbrush if you are looking for quality toothbrush at a more affordable price. You can buy it for less than $50 at Amazon, and it even comes with a 60-day money back guarantee. The product also comes with 2-year limited warranty for repair or replacement of parts. It offers good value for your money considering the features it includes.
It is also compatible with different kinds of Oral-B brush heads. Thus, you can customize your brushing. It has a long-lasting rechargeable battery that lasts up to 7 days with regular use.
The Oral-B Precision 1000 is lightweight. You can easily carry it around with you when you travel.
The brush however, can be quite hard for some. However, it is compatible with a variety of brush heads, so you can easily replace it for a softer one if you like.
5. Philips Sonicare HX6711/02 HealthyWhite 710 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
If you wish to whiten your teeth, consider buying the Philips Sonicare HX6711/02 HealthyWhite. It can remove 90% of stains, be it tea, coffee, or red wine stain, for whiter and brighter smile. This toothbrush integrates whitening into your daily brushing routine without the use of messy chemicals and trays.
- Patented sonic technology, which can remove plaque better than any regular toothbrush for best oral health
- Two mode settings to whiten teeth up to two shades in just two weeks
- ProResults brush made with contour fit bristles for better reach and to ensure deep clean in between teeth and along the gum line
- Smartimer – Built-in two-minute timer to encourage users to follow the recommended two-minute brushing
- Quadpacer – 30-second interval to allow you to brush each quadrant of your mouth
The Sonicare HX6711 HealthyWhite is made 30% smaller and lighter compared to the Sonicare Essence. Thus, offering more convenience, especially when traveling. The brush is soft and gentle as well, so it won’t hurt your gums when brushing.
This electric toothbrush however, can be quite expensive compared to many electric toothbrushes by Sonicare. However, if you consider the features and how it can whiten your teeth in just a matter of weeks, then it may be worth the extra cost.
6. Philips Sonicare HX9332/05 DiamondClean Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare HX9332 DiamondClean is an ideal electric toothbrush for plaque removal. It removes 100% more plaque than your ordinary toothbrush in hard-to-reach areas.
- Made with Patented Sonic technology to clean your teeth with the power of 31,000 brush strokes. The sweeping motions help drive fluids deep into the tight spaces in between teeth and gum line for better plaque removal and healthier gums.
- Made with angled diamond bristles that gently cleans and whitens teeth
- Slim, ergonomic handle to ensure comfort while brushing and for easy brush head replacement
- Five cleaning modes for custom cleaning experience. It features an illuminated display to indicate the selected mode
- Smartimer and Quadpacer to ensure you follow the recommended two-minute brushing and for thorough cleaning.
- Charging glass made with conduction technology, which allows you to charge your toothbrush while it rests in the glass. You can also use the glass for mouth rinsing
- Rechargeable lithium-polymer battery which lasts up to three weeks on a single charge
- USB charging travel case for convenience
Its innovative design not only offers convenience, but also allows you to brush in style. The way it charges when placed inside the charging glass is sleek and practical. The USB charging case also allows you to charge the electric toothbrush anywhere you go. Simply plug it to your laptop via the USB port.
The Sonicare DiamondClean is sleek and stylish but also quite expensive. Its features can be found in many electric toothbrushes from Sonicare, so the added cost is basically for style. If you are on a budget, this is not for you.
7. Oral-B Professional Healthy Clean + Sensitive Gum Care Precision 3000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
For superior teeth cleaning and healthier gums, consider Oral-B Precision 3000. You can trust a brand like Oral-B to give you the best electric toothbrush at a reasonable price.
- Professionally inspired clean refill brush head for precise cleaning in hard-to-reach areas
- Pressure indicator, which tells you when you are brushing too hard, thus preventing gum irritation
- 40,000 pulsating movements per minute for superior plaque removal
- Three brushing modes – Daily Clean, Sensitive and Whitening
- Indicator bristles to tell you when the brush head needs replacement
With its three cleaning modes and cutting-edge technology, you will see whiter teeth in just 30 days. Its pressure sensor alert also promotes proper cleaning. Most consumers say they feel their teeth have become squeaky clean after brushing.
If you are looking for something cheaper, then this may not be the best electric toothbrush for you. However, since it comes with a 60-day guarantee, it may be worth trying.